- Only available at the country level.
- Data quality for Central America seems unreliable
- The data for 1500 is used by Spolaore and Wacziarg (2013) as a measure of economic performance in 1500 (see their footnote 3 for justification)
2. Krumhardt, K. (2010). ‘Methodology for worldwide population estimates: 1000 BC to 1850’, ARVE Technical Report no. 3.
- Used by Fenske (2013) as an alternative data source of historical population to McEvedy and Jones (1978)
- Available at the subnational level across the world
- Available at the subnational level across the world for some countries in the Americas